Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Another Hurricane in Mexico




We finally got some photos from David in the mission field. He's settling into missionary life and getting along with companion, Elder Segura. Earlier in the week we were tracking a hurricane that was closing in on the resort areas where David is serving. The hurricane was initially a category 5 storm in strength but late this evening it had been downgraded to a tropical storm...with 60MPH winds and 2 inches of rain...some tropical storm. David and his companion, as well as the other missionaries in the zone, were instructed to buy food and water and be prepared to stay home for the next couple of days. We'll find out next week how it really went.

The work in La Paz, Mexico is going well. David's ability to speak Spanish is improving. His companion is a Mexican and speaks very little English so it's kind of "sink or swim" for David. Here's how David describes his experience with the language:

"But anyway, life is great!!! Time is flying and it's hard to believe that it's already been another week and I'm writing to you!!! During the day, it's really king of weird. Very special. During the day, I can't talk to the people, I stumble over every other word when I teach. . . If I can teach. . . I can't talk to my companion very well and there are TONS of misscommunications. This place is soooo different. I can't do anything by myself and I feel kinda like a baby bird. The Mexicans here laugh at me all the time. And to tell you the truth, it just sucks. at the moment. And then, I get home and start writing in my journal and I pray and I do all the reflection and stuff. And I love it. I look back and just can't believe how I lived any other way than being a missionary. I really am going to be sad when I have to leave. THAT will truly suck. But Spanish is coming along fine. I still can't understand much. And I can't speak for crap. And I can't even understand myself when I think in Spanish, which is a VERY strange feeling. But it's coming :)"

So there you have it, David is happy and that's all that matters. By the way, we just cracked up when we saw the pictures of David at his zone conference...he's so tall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment